A couple years ago, I was out at a Japanese restaurant with some friends. They proposed ordering edamame as a shared appetizer, and I said something like 'I've never really understood the appeal of edamame; they're so fuzzy going down.'
This remark was, of course, greeted with blank stares, followed by (totally deserved) laughter.
This evening I discovered another legume-covering initial complete misapprehension. The CSA-esque thing I patronize has recently been providing fava beans. Now, having learned from the edamame confusion, I immediately understood that it was appropriate to remove the large outer pod. I did so, and ate them over pasta, with an arugula pesto, to which I added way too much garlic, so I didn't really notice the fava beans, except to think that they were maybe a little chewy.
This evening I de-podded the next batch, blanched them, set them aside to deal with some beets, grew restive, and naturally started grazing. The fava beans struck me as having a nice soft interior and an oddly waxy exterior. A sudden suspicion struck me and I turned to the internet.
OH MY GOD PEOPLE IS THERE NO END TO THE DECEPTIVENESS OF LEGUME CASINGS? You're supposed to de-pod and then shell the wretched things! Let this be a cautionary tale, and approach new members of the bean/pea family with circumspection. I bet the next one I encounter has THREE layers.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
1 commentaire:
Good grief, you are so funny in describing the awkward realizations that we all come to at some point or another. (eg, "I am eating legume container.") If I didn't know you better, I would encourage you to pursue the route of live comedy.
Enregistrer un commentaire