vendredi 6 janvier 2012

Succumbing to butter

But in a relatively virtuous way!

- Make pie crust, without sugar, and using 1.5 c of whole wheat flour. Stick dough in fridge while you proceed with other ingredients.
- Cook 1 c red lentils with a bay leaf; when they're soft, take out the bay leaf and add salt, then melt some butter in a frying pan and frazzle some oregano, garlic, and chiles de arbol in the butter; add the spice butter to the lentils and blend to a smooth paste.
- Mandoline and caramelize red onions.
- Chop up kale and cook it in olive oil and red pepper flakes til soft, then squeeze lemon juice over it.
- Roll out the pie dough, stamp out circles, fill each circle with a dollop of lentils, a schmear of onions, a flourish of kale; fold over, seal, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for ~ 25 minutes.

Verdict: Good grief, that pie crust is good. The various fillings are fine, too - although the turnovers are better cooled and eaten at room temperature than eaten hot. I think next time I do something like this, I might tuck some chutney into the insides as well. And conceptually I think this would work better with, say, remnants of black bean chili - it's kind of a nuisance to make food that would be perfectly good on its own (the fillings) and then go the extra step to make the crust and re-cook everything, but it would be a great way to revitalize leftovers about which I was beginning to feel unenthused.

Aucun commentaire: