dimanche 9 septembre 2007

Thoughts on my new mode of transportation

1. My part of town (Mid-City) is separated from Uptown/Broadmoor/etc. by the Pontchartrain expressway. Places I would like to go (for example, the Tulane gym) are in Uptown/Broadmoor/etc. So in the first place I think it's kind of weird to have a major road running right through a city anyway - doesn't it devalue property in its path?, and in the second place it personally massively inconveniences me as a neophyte bicyclist - to cross it on Carrollton, I have to go under a sketchy overpass and try not to get run over by cars shooting on/off it; to cross it on Broad, there's the same issue but magnified (although a great view from the top.) I guess I could loop through the Warehouse district and it might be slightly less unnerving, but pretty totally out of my way. So for real, could just 1 surface street run below the expressway and over the train tracks? (Or maybe I am just still new to this and scared.)

2. OH MY GOD THE STATE OF THE SIDEWALKS. AND THE ROADS. I know New Orleans probably doesn't have a ton of money, but what exactly are people here paying taxes for? I think infrastructure is a pretty basic responsibility of the state. I swear I've seen nicer roads in rural Africa.*

3. I have lots of etiquette to learn, and fear to get over, and speed to improve (although I don't know what's normal - an 11-mile ride today took me about an hour and a quarter - internet, does that seem slow?) but I think I might totally love this. Not that I've named my bike or anything.**

* Yes, I know, I've undoubtedly seen worse there too.
** Miss Lily. I will probably be absurd and post a photo as soon as I find my camera's USB cable.

Aucun commentaire: