Last week the Crescent City Farmers' Market email said that it was the last week for strawberries, so of course I bought an entire flat (12 pints for $14, i.e. a pittance) and then when I got it home set it down on the kitchen counter and wondered what the devil I was going to do with them all.
I hulled and froze about half of them (you can't defrost them and, say, put them on your cereal, but frozen strawberries are excellent for smoothies and I expect to be able to make compote out of them and maybe even jam), kept some to eat fresh (although now I am thinking indecent thoughts about this) and FINALLY found a grown-up-tasting jam recipe for the rest!
It's the balsamic strawberry jam from this book, and I didn't get much jam out of it (I made two batches and each yielded two half-pints) but that's ok because what I did get is beautiful - and I got a total of seven half-pints of darkly lustrous balsamic strawberry syrup that is just wonderful - sweet and strawberry-ish, of course, but also with an edge; awesome for mixing with plain yogurt, or seltzer water, or hot whiskey, or putting on top of pancakes. And now I have a go-to recipe for next strawberry season! Victory!
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire