I've been in a bit of a cooking slump lately so it's with a certain amount of craven relief that I am traveling for work for a bit, relieved of all responsibilities re: deciding what to cook, procuring the ingredients, doing the work, cleaning it all up, and then coping with the leftovers. (I spent my last week in CA staring with increasing loathing at what had begun as a rather nice zucchini-potato-basil-mint frittata; perhaps not something that should be made in multiple serving sizes.)
Anyway, I really love the breakfast spread at my current hotel, for two rather contrary reasons: the lavish trays of fresh fruit (usually bananas, watermelon, papaya, and pineapple) & fresh passion fruit juice (oh that icy cold first glass, tossed back quickly) versus the warming pans full of baked beans, sausages, fried potatoes and plantains, cabbage and peas in a spicy sauce, etc. - nothing I would ever independently think to make for breakfast but absurdly satisfying, especially if you've already been awake and getting hungry for 4 hours (does anyone else secretly kind of enjoy the disjuncture of jet lag?)
Alas, the coffee is kind of vile - not that I don't still drink it - but Kampala has had a little boomlet of coffee shops that make very good espresso drinks to go - amazing!
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire