lundi 18 juin 2007

N nisonmandi!

My last Bambara lesson was today - the teacher is getting ready for an influx of Peace Corps trainees (they're lucky to have him!) and I'm only here for another month, so no point starting up again with someone else.

I'm a ridiculous mix of emotions these days - really excited about starting the next chapter but really sad about leaving Bamako; thrilled to get back to DC and see my friends, but loathing the notion of packing; super happy about starting school, but nervous about finding housing, figuring out loans, etc.

I hate leaving places. I get anxious about my ability to maintain the friendships I leave behind, and I'm so shy, I just dread re-establishing a social life. At the same time, I love new places - new food! New slang! A new history and culture to study! Getting to physically know a new neighbourhood and city, getting oriented, developing a spatial understanding and geographic memory of a place - being enriched by a new place - what could be better?

Aucun commentaire: