mercredi 6 août 2008

Grab bag

  1. A lightbulb just went on in my head!  Eating dull non-nutritious food + not enough sleep + not enough exercise + not enough socializing + not enough thinking* = of course I feel like hell!
  2. Number of days in past two weeks that I have succumbed to the allure of Doritos at lunchtime: 4.  Number of those days that I have also read journal articles on obesity/food choices/environmental determinants of same: All of them.  Professionalism and reason, 0; Absurdity and crunchy snack foods, 1.
  3. I find it - well, offensive, really - when people say 'Everything happens for a reason' or 'Life hands you what you need for the evolution of your consciousness.'  God knows** I understand the desire to overlay narrative order on a fundamentally random and brutal world, but that is the proper domain of fiction.***  I defy anyone to chirp such sentiments at, say, a victim of child abuse.  (Not that anyone has been saying such things to me; this is actually a totally selfless fit of indignation.)
  4. I need to start a new category called 'Aesthetically unpleasant meaningless useless words I hereby vow never to deploy.'  The first example: Operationalize.  Ugh.
  5. I am reading The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell as an internship requirement.  I am not learning much because after every sentence I think 'But he gave that speech in front of the U.N. about Niger/uranium!  He got played by the neocons!  I have no faith in him!'  Somehow I will be spinning this out into a three page book review.  Durr.
* You may wonder what on earth I have been doing.  I've been going to work and then going home to feverishly watch The Wire's third season.  That has been my life for the past 3 days.  Nothing involving The Wire qualifies as a rut, but I need to mix it up.

** Rhetorically speaking; if there is a deity, I hope s/he has other priorities than getting to know my neuroses.

*** Music/art/etc.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

If God knows that you hate when people say "everything happens for a reason", then do you believe in God? hmmmm