mardi 5 août 2008

Words That Have Recently Made My Head Turn, Lyrical Edition

Do words ever just exhilarate you?  Leave you tipsy and giddy?  Sober you with beauty, strike you dumb with delight, set your heart to thrumming with pleasure?

Anyway, here's a selection of recent deliciousness:

- Je t'allume et je te fume*
- If I wanted to be part time, I'd be working at the checkout line**
- You want her broken with her mouth wide open, cause she's this year's girl***
- Hang onto me people, we're going down
Down among the fishes in an absence of sound
It's the presence of distance and it's floating in time
It's lack and it's longing and it's not very kind****
- To my folks on the picket line, don't stop til you change their minds
Got love for my folks, baptized when the levee broke
We go keep marching on until you hear that freedom song
And if you think about turning back
I got the shotgun on your back*****

* Manu Chao.
** Estelle.
*** Elvis Costello.  Also, OMFG internal rhymes!  And - maybe misogyny?  I don't think so though - is it wrong to express any kind of animus against any woman?  Surely not.
**** Grinderman.
***** Erykah Badu.  And she would use it too.

Aucun commentaire: