lundi 22 février 2010

Orange cake thoughts

I made this for a class potluck and then for book group last week. It is pretty good but (at the risk of sounding like one of those loons on Epicurious who says 'This was great I subbed the steak for tofu and the kale for cabbage though'):

a) I used slightly wizened satsumas from the farmers' market instead of an orange
b) I did not make the apple topping; once I did make the glaze and thought it was kind of weird (maybe b/c I used greek yogurt?) and once I went with softly whipped cream, which was great
c) I saved the sugar-satsuma-boiling-water and I will call it 'satsuma simple syrup' at some point and mix it with bourbon, or maybe white wine and seltzer
d) I do not recommend baking with buckwheat honey (or possibly doing anything with buckwheat honey, although I still have 3/4 of the bottle so I suppose I will be doing lots of things w/ buckwheat honey in the future); its kind of weird muskiness becomes the most dominant flavour after the cake gets cold
e) which I also don't recommend letting happen, it gets kind of dense and compacted and less appealing after being in the fridge for a day
f) although deciding to throw in some almond meal (leftover from galette des rois) w/ the flour might have something to do with that.

Aucun commentaire: