jeudi 28 juillet 2011

Cobbled together

- Make this green bean/tomato/garlic/basil thingie from Marcella Hazan. Add the frozen leftover lamb meatballs when the tomatoes have expressed a little liquid. The first night, eat it over some pasta (spaghetti, not penne as she specifies - sorry, Mrs. Hazan!)

- Contemplate the 5-lb bag of cornmeal you accidentally bought. Make this cornbread (add corn cut off of 2 ears). Eat a quarter of it with some leftover green beans mixed with leftover pickled onions from the panzanella extravaganza.

- Repeat for lunch the next day (and keep in mind for the future that you will not be able to resist the siren call of cornbread past 11 a.m.)

Thoughts: The meatballs were indeed much more flavourful and interesting in a saucy environment. I did not peel the tomatoes b/c I am a lazy slob. It's a good thing I don't make cornbread very often b/c I absolutely cannot control myself around it - something about the texture, the crunch, what a perfect vehicle it is for salt and butter and probably - oooh - a compound butter with cane syrup. And how well it plays with add-ins of whatever I have lying around. And, who am I kidding, when have I ever needed a reason to love something in the bread family?

Aucun commentaire: