mardi 26 juillet 2011

Staycation

This weekend I decided to make the best of the terrible weather and my roommate's absence and have a little staycation. Besides the farmers' market, McKeown's (to sell books), and Hansen's Sno-Bliz (to spend some of that cash), I don't think I did anything besides sleep, cook, yoga, Law and Order, and job search stuff. Pretty fantastic, really.

- Pizza with fennel, roughly chopped little roma-esque tomatoes, mozzarella, and tiny lamb meatballs (1.2 lbs ground lamb from Ryal's, lemon zest, toasted cumin, minced garlic, an egg, 3 tb semolina) = alright. The meatballs weren't very meaty tasting, but then again they had a fair amount of competition. I froze the rest of them (baked them before putting on the pizza) so I'll have the opportunity for a meatball redux/reconsideration.

- Kim Boyce's maple rye roll thingies, with brown sugar/cardamom/cinnamon as a stand-in for the maple sugar. Ridiculously low (ok, like 80s) temperatures made quickly grating the frozen butter and the next morning's fraisage actually feasible.

- Chocolate croissant + iced coffee (1 cup coarse grounds in 4.5 cups water overnight) = bliss.

- Made David Tanis' honest loaf rather badly (not a long enough post-fridge rise, perhaps?) and immediately made it again, with more success, but I mostly use bread for toast and I regard toast as a weekend indulgence (certainly the quantities of butter and jam I prefer take it far from the health food range) so WTF was I supposed to do with all this bread? Panzanella, of course! Coarsely cubed, cooked in an enamel pot with olive or walnut oil and salt, then mixed with delightful things like tomatoes, basil, raw corn, quick-pickled red onions, feta, lime juice, whatever else is on hand - fantastic!

- And direct unfussy gluttony has its place too - I can eat pretty much unlimited quantities of cold cantaloupe and yielding figs.

Aucun commentaire: