1. Best thing an advisor has ever said to me - 'I just don't want you to get bored...'
2. Most terrifying thing an advisor has ever said to me - 'Oh, I think you can just skip the introductory Epidemiology course.'*
3. Orientation will probably be the only time in my life that I'm overdressed (and I was just standard biz casual.)
4. I might need to buy the biggest bottle ever of spray starch - it's so humid that 5 minutes after I iron something, it's limp.
5. Everyone who is snickering at a) the concept of me being overdressed b) me actually ironing, go to heck. I've actually decided to keep dressing like an adult - i.e. no jeans or tshirts, or at least not together.**
* Keep in mind, my last science was Chem 181 my first semester undergrad - and I was lucky to escape with a C.
** I'm tentatively attributing this decision to 3 factors. The first is aseriousjobisnoexcuse.blogspot.com - although I don't think I'll ever be as devoted to the notion that style communicates substance as the author, I salute her underlying premise. The second is time spent in countries where how you dress is super-important for communicating (and instilling) respect. The third is, well, I dressed down at my last 2 jobs at least partially because I found them boring and knew that they had no upward potential - and I have no intention of being bored, or taken less than seriously, here.
mercredi 29 août 2007
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire