jeudi 18 septembre 2008

Possibility

What you lose on the swings, you get back on the roundabouts?

Although I seem to remember a very unpleasant character in a Roald Dahl* short story having a similar thought shortly before she got her comeuppance. Mrs. Bixby and Colonel's Coat, if memory serves.

* Um. LOVE HIM. Loved his kids' books, of course, and then - we were still in Kenya, so I must have been in elementary school - somehow got my hands on the adult short stories too. I certainly didn't get all the nuances** but that slightly jaundiced worldview, in which trickiness, danger, and the unexpectedness of what lies below the surface permeate every sentence with faint menace - that I got.

** I reread books a lot, because the books that are worthwhile have so much nuance that every reading gives you something new to savour. This is valuable both aesthetically and practically; the short stories of Somerset Maugham are almost singlehandedly responsible for the maintenance of my equilibrium during Peace Corps.

Aucun commentaire: