Yet what was that truth? Broyard was a critic—a critic who specialized in European and American fiction. And what was race but a European and American fiction?
I just finished One Drop, Bliss Broyard's account of learning that her father spent most of his life passing as white. The above is from a separate essay about Anatole Broyard. Both are interesting, although I was impatient sometimes with Bliss Broyard's desire for acceptance in the family her father rejected - but who knows which of my own family issues I am just projecting onto her?
In other news, I have a delightfully straightforward subconscious. I usually dream about whatever I'm actually anxious about - lately, my grandparents' health and the lack of family support in their daily lives. So my dreams might distress me, but at least I'm never confused.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire