jeudi 17 février 2011

New pursuit

On Tuesday I stole bites of friends' empanadas at a bar. I quite liked the crust but was underwhelmed by all but one of the fillings. So last night (after gobbling up Sunshine) I gave them a shot; the result is good but not amazing. There will be tinkering/improvements!

I used this dough. (Probably would have turned out flakier if I'd actually chilled the shortening. Will do it properly, but also intrigued by this recipe.)

For the filling I mashed a huge sweet potato and added some (blanched) frozen peas, a chopped jalapeno, some minced garlic, and some garlic and cumin briefly cooked in butter. For a sauce I did more marmalade/cider vinegar/mustard seed stuff. Lots of starch - would have been good to have some kind of vegetable accompaniment - but there is a particular satisfaction in getting off the couch at 7 and using just what's already in the house to make a fairly grown-up dinner by 9.

Aucun commentaire: