mercredi 6 octobre 2010

Cooking update

- I have been nursing a mild addiction to Whole Foods' salted caramel cupcakes (white cake, caramel in middle, caramel-flavoured frosting) and decided to see how a homemade version would turn out. I made a white spice cake (from the apple upside-down cake a few weeks ago) for the cupcakes and this caramel frosting (although I used a little less butter) and I think I maintain a reasonable humility about my cooking abilities but OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING.
- Made this zucchini bread w/ a cup of whole-wheat flour, slightly different spices, less sugar and a handful of sliced up dried apricots. I particularly love this recipe b/c it makes two loaves - I always freeze one and then have it come to the rescue some week when I've fallen down on the breakfast provision front.
- Made this with some homemade ricotta substituted for the paneer. It's ok but I'd like to find a better recipe.
- Made this (but sliced the okra up.) I wish I could bring myself to feel enthusiastic about okra that isn't pickled.
- Made these tortillas but used a cup of whole-wheat flour and whey instead of milk - think the latter was a mistake, the dough seemed awfully dry and the end result, while perfectly edible, is hardly transcendent. Will re-make them properly sometime and see how it goes.
- Caramelize two thinly-sliced onions, mix in 1 chopped-up chipotle-in-adobo, 1 tb or so rice wine vinegar, and 2 sweet potatoes that have been cubed, tossed w/ pepper, cumin, and olive oil, and roasted til soft. Put some of it on a tortilla, top w/ some grated smoked gouda that has been kicking around in your fridge for heaven only knows how long, and reflect on how even when things aren't perfect they're still pretty damn good.

Aucun commentaire: