mercredi 5 mai 2010

Dear Anthropologie Part... well, some integer

My love for you is well-established, despite your crap definition of 'sale'. (Hint: $40 for a shirt is not a sale price.) But I am a little discomfited by your current catalogue. A Passage to India? Really? With a woman wearing something quite pith helmet-esque on the cover, and lots of bare arms and legs and uncovered heads*, and deeply creative copywriting using images nobody has ever used about India before, with references to spices and timelessness?

Seriously? Have you read the book? (Hint: It is not exactly Eat, Pray, Love for the Edwardian set.) Wouldn't it have been interesting to dress the model in clothes that would be appropriate for a place with non-Western ideas about modesty? Or even use a model from the place you're photographing? Wouldn't it have been innnovative to have some of your backdrops be modern Indian architecture? Or to engage with Indian scientific or literary traditions/accomplishments or just SOMETHING OTHER THAN CURRY?

Now this is by no means leading me to boycott your store. (Especially not once the one in Canal Place opens up - I slaver at the thought.) But really. Are dimwitted/mildly infuriating catalogues really the legacy you want to leave? Think (rigorously and creatively) and THEN act.**

* Ok, I've never been to India, and for all I know it is perfectly normal all over the country for women to show lots of skin, but... I doubt it.

** Any why yes, I could certainly take my own advice more often, thanks.

Aucun commentaire: