I only went to Jazz Fest one day this year (free ticket!) but in that time I ate a deep-fried soft-shell crab po-boy, creamy crawfish pasta, apple and sweet potato fritters, and drank about a gallon of strawberry lemonade w/ whiskey. Then I biked home in the rain and laid on my floor for a little while. Then I decided to make something restorative - lasagna w/ ricotta and sage and mushrooms and tomatoes and zucchini and broccoli. (I made the pasta and the ricotta, and all the vegetables were from the farmers' market. Sometimes I make myself want to go eat fast food.) Anyway, some thoughts:
- It is silly (i.e. very crunchy) to use pasta as the top layer. I'll remember to put something (cheese?) on top next time.
- All the crunchy bits of pasta tasted kind of like cornbread, which leads me to suspect that the unlabeled jar I assumed was semolina was in fact cornmeal. Whoops!
- I read somewhere (Marcella Hazan?) that pasta should be rolled out thin enough to read through (unless of course I'm remembering something someone else said about puff pastry?) - I think this was a little too thin, I'd like the pasta layers to have more heft next time.
- It is unexpectedly complicated to improvise quantities/volumes/layers - I had some leftover broccoli and was worried that the whole thing would overflow.
Ricotta:
- .5 gallon whole milk from Smith Creamery
- juice of 2 lemons
Bring milk to a simmer, dump in juice, leave on heat for 1 more minute, take off heat for 10 minutes, drain through cheesecloth in colander for 10 minutes or so.
Lasagna dough:
- 1.5 c semolina flour (or, you know, whatever)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tb olive oil
- 2 tb water
- some salt
Mix all together, knead, let sit for 20 min. In the meantime cut up and blanch some broccoli, slice mushrooms and saute w/ garlic, shred zucchini and mix w/ mushrooms, slice up 2 sad-looking tomatoes, and chop up some sage and mix it w/ the ricotta.
Break dough up into 4 balls and roll out and slice each, getting approx 4 2-by-6 rectangles out of each ball. Layer pasta, broccoli, mushroom/zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese in whatever combination of orders your still-humming-with-BB King's-banter brain suggests. Put something other than pasta on top.
Put into 350 degree oven and then abandon the house to move the car so it does not flood in the torrential downpour taking place outside. Thank you, New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board, for the fact that my street turns into a swimming pool every other hard rain.
Take out after ~ 30 minutes. Listen to nothing but the rain while you eat it.
lundi 3 mai 2010
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
1 commentaire:
In case you were wondering, it's also possible to make "cornbread" from semolina--something I proved on a weekly basis during a certain two-year period :)
Enregistrer un commentaire