lundi 29 novembre 2010

Gross morning, w/ some redemption

The gross:

- I am working on making leaven as prescribed in this book (NOLA public library, you are my best friend) and YEOWGH - it smells like the most disgusting cheese in the world. Which is basically what the book says, so at least I'm doing it right. But still - not what you want to deal with first thing in the morning.
- I roasted the goat shoulder and then threw it, in its roasting pan, into the fridge. So now it looks ferociously unappetizing in its tray of congealed fat. I am hoping to render it edible this evening.
- I got into the shower and a huge fucking cockroach decided to join me via the drain! Drastic measures were required.
- I got up to run and it was raining. Bah.

The redemption:

- Coffee.
- Pumpkin roll for breakfast!

Make this dough except I did a half recipe, used whey instead of milk, browned the butter a little, and put some cardamom in. Instead of using the recipe's filling, I cooked a bag of cranberries w/ some water and brown sugar until most of the berries had popped and it was thick, and then stirred in a spoonful of caramel leftover from the Thanksgiving brownies. I kind of forgot about the dough and let it do its initial rise for way too long, and skipped the glaze, but followed procedure re: shaping, 2nd rise, bake time. The long rise might have been rather nice, actually - they have a kind of loftiness. And these are good b/c they feel super self-indulgent while not being crazy sweet.

Aucun commentaire: