samedi 7 avril 2007

Peux ce que veux? - April 3

I am reading ‘Shake Hands With The Devil.’ It gave me a nightmare where someone was being killed by a gang, and was I going to be a good enough person to help him? The gang would kill me if I just ran into the middle of it, so I was trying to think of clever things to do when I woke up. I am trying to be pragmatic and think of something effective to do, as a citizen, to make either my country or the U.N. take responsibility for current humanitarian crises. Lt. General Dallaire says at one point that he can’t think of the génocidaires as humans who committed evil acts – he thinks of them as subhuman. I can’t help but feel that they are really all too human – we’re all potential slave-owners, Khmer Rouge, Treblinka guards, apartheid enforcers – we don’t tremble because we look at these people and see something inhuman; we tremble because we see ourselves.

Aucun commentaire: