vendredi 6 juillet 2007

Ode to Riz Gras


Riz Gras (or Riz au Gras) – which I guess translates to ‘Greasy Rice’ – is one of my favourite things to eat here. I usually go to Cantine Sewa, right around the corner – it’s one of a number of small restaurants catering to workers in nearby buildings. (Manual labourers tend to eat at outdoor food stalls where they get a plate of starch and meaty sauce for a couple hundred CFA.) Cantines/cafeterias usually have a menu du jour of 2 or 3 dishes (and an actual menu offering brochettes, omelettes, etc.), like poulet yassa, riz gras, and/or tô with okra, nothing costing more than CFA 1,500 (approx 3 dollars.)

Riz gras, as I love and understand it, is a heap of broken rice cooked with oil, Maggi cubes, tomato sauce, and pan drippings until it is savory and brown. (My mouth is watering as I write this.) It is decorated with some more or less token vegetables (cabbage, carrot, bitter tomatoes) and a chunk of protein – my favourite is fried capitaine. I love it with lots of piment and salty Maggi sauce. I’m pretty sure I would enjoy mayonnaise on it too, but fortunately Cantine Sewa doesn’t put mayonnaise on the table so I’ve not yet hopped on that cholesterol-disaster truck.

Well, on that note, lunchtime!

Aucun commentaire: