Ok, how do I put this?
I SUCK at handling money. I'm a spendthrift, I don't budget, I have no self control, I'm an impulsive buyer, I like expensive things, etc. So I am perpetually broke and struggling to pay off credit card debt (SO embarrassing - clear evidence of living beyond my means) and student loan debt ('good' debt, I suppose, but still strangling) and feeling sad about money. I save a little bit, but it always gets used up on doctor's bills or whatever - no house down payment in my future. So! No more. The plan:
- Only thrift store shopping. (A good idea for environmental reasons anyway.)
- Always a packed lunch.
- No alcohol during the week.
- Take out in cash the amount I have every week to spend on groceries/entertainment ($150) and only carry that cash - no cards.
- No self pity - if I hadn't been a grasshopper before, I wouldn't need to be a hardcore ant now, and lots of people are making do with a LOT less - so buck up, self.
The main struggle is going to be food. I am toying with the notion of going vegan during the week (health + money reasons.) I will keep an eye on my food spending for the next little bit and see if I need to make any changes - I don't eat out much or buy much meat so the main problem is a) buying most stuff at the farmers' market instead of, say, Walmart (that's not negotiable) b) seeing a recipe and buying new stuff for it instead of working with what I already have (that's totally changeable) c) being a little too fond of making things with expensive ingredients (organic butter and eggs) - not going to change what I cook with for ethical reasons, but can decide to only cook that stuff on the weekends and see if that brings it under control a bit.
Anyway. I've been struggling with this for a while. I think that throwing it up on this public forum will make it seem serious enough to myself to actually do it.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire