mardi 18 janvier 2011

The wheat berry obsession continues

Although I tried buckwheat groats for breakfast this morning and, um, ick. I think I like the buckwheat taste better in savory applications and the texture was pap-like. (Pap-esque?)

BUT. THIS SOUP. Perfect for an evening of incipient illness and introversion.

- Cook a couple cups of wheat berries, set aside.
- Cook a cup and a half or so of yellow lentils, set aside.
- Caramelize two sliced onions.
- Add 4 or 5 minced garlic cloves, a tb or so each of whole cumin and coriander, and 1/2 tsp of insanely spicy Liberian pepper powder courtesy of your mother. Stir frantically.
- Add 4 chopped carrots and 3 chopped stalks celery (or whatever you have on hand.) Cook for a minute.
- Throw in half a cup of red wine, reduce.
- Add water and some Better than Bouillon (lame, I know.) Let cook for a couple of minutes and then tip in the lentils and wheat berries.

Chewy, spicy, the carrots and celery not fully cooked so still retaining their particular flavours; would also be just fine w/ some crumbled feta or plain yogurt on top.

Aucun commentaire: