I read this, and enjoyed it, but couldn't help but notice that a) it was written by a man b) it had raves from male authors all over it (Nick Hornby, etc.) c) the cover in question is not particularly sentimental looking d) a brief perusal of reviews indicates it was quite well received - but it read to me exactly like something from Maeve Binchy* or Jennifer Weiner** - both of whom, I feel, get different cover treatments and no praise from laddish writers and are firmly in the chick lit category, not the popular fiction that all people may enjoy category.
* Ok, I've only read one and it was in high school, but I assume there's not that much variation in what she produces.
** I've read at least a couple of hers.
NB: Upon googling further, I see that this is not an original thought.
ALSO: First fail from the Blue Chair, although I think it has more to do w/ the dubious ingredients (commercial strawberries and frost-damaged non-blood oranges; I don't want to talk about why I was working w/ such sub-par stuff; just let me say, NOT MY IDEA) than the recipe - although now that I think of it, I've never achieved much of a set w/ any of their recipes. It doesn't bother me b/c I find runniness more versatile than a super stiff set would be, but might bother people w/ firmer (ha did you see what I did there?) expectations than mine.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
work in progress
libellés
- accidie
- Art
- Bamako
- Bay Area
- Books
- Cooking
- Cross-cultural fun
- DC
- Dessert
- Dilemmas
- Drinks
- family
- French
- Gabon
- Geekitude
- Grease
- happy
- idiots
- Language Snob
- love
- money
- Movies
- music
- New Orleans
- pastry
- Quotes
- random
- Restaurants
- satisfying websites
- School
- segou
- Technology
- Thinking
- Travail
- Travel
- Uganda
- Unfamiliarness
- Vacation
- Whining
- Writing
- yoga
1 commentaire:
I went through phases in middle/high school where I would read a bunch of novels by really popular authors (Grisham, Binchy, Clancy, Crichton) and you're right, all of Binchy's novels were really similar.
It's a really intersting comment about the "laddish" accolades on the jacket. Typically they seem so self congratulatory and really I just want to find out what the book is about.
I forgot about your blog for a long time, switching continents and all, and rediscovered the other day. So glad I did.
jl
Enregistrer un commentaire